Sunday, May 16, 2010

Waves of Mercy...

I must admit this title makes me chuckle a little as I recall that old worship song that goes... "waves of mercy, waves of grace, everywhere I look I see your face..." It brings back memories of a church camp I volunteered at in college "Impact" where I sang that song so much I thought my arms were gonna wave off!

I digress already. Actually, I just returned from some beautiful and amazing waves of the ocean at Destin Beach with a few of my girlfriends. It was a welcome retreat from the craziness of the last 8 weeks - yes, Tuesday will be 8 weeks from the accident. My how life can change so much so quickly. The weekend was filled with waves of emotion - a constant sadness and sense of someone missing, coupled with moments of girly laughter and sweet times reflecting on my Creator God.

I feel so close to God at the beach. Looking at the vast ocean puts me in complete wonder and awe at how big God is, and how small I am. Yet, He knows me by name.

The waves on this particular trip were probably some of the roughest I have witnessed on the Gulf. It reminded me of the waves off the northern shore of California that Tony and I saw last summer on our trip down the West Coast. The roar of the ocean was almost deafening on that cold, foggy shore. We were the only 2 on the entire beach - just us and God. Tony was so intrigued with the small rocks that kept washing up on shore - instead of seashells - they were the smoothest rocks, black, white and gray in color. We picked them up and brought them home like priceless treasures.

It was like those waters were too rough for delicate seashells - God had to produce rocks instead. I feel like I am one of those rocks - tossed and turned by waves pounding the sand, yet producing the smoothest surface, like choice granite, over time. One day those waves will be stilled just like Jesus stilled the storm for the disciples. I cling to the verses in Ps. 107: 29-31, "He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed. They were glad when it grew calm, and he guided them to their desired haven. Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men."

Driving home tonight, I had on repeat on my Ipod Shane & Shane's song "Mercy Reigns" as I thought about those ocean waves. They rise and fall, over and over again, just like God's mercy and love. And as it says in the song, they are "new every morning...it's good enough for me."

Dearly loved ocean pebble,
Melissa

1 comment:

  1. WOW! What a way with words! I have tears of joy in my eyes! God is and will continue to use you in a mighty way here on this earth. YOu are an inspiration to us! Thank you for sharing some time with us! We needed that! We love you and are always here for you! Praying for you every day! Love, Jen

    ReplyDelete