Sunday, May 23, 2010

Help for a Widow...

There are over 100 mentions of the word "widow" in the Bible. Up until 2 months ago, I mostly pictured widows as little old ladies, and I felt very sorry for them. I never thought I'd fit into this category - especially not this early in my life.

But here I am, a widow. I struggle calling myself that.

To specifically mention this word over and over again in His Word, God must know that a widow's pain requires much help from His followers. I have never been one to willingly receive help from others - I felt I could either take care of myself or I would at least repay any help I did accept. Now, in this stage of life, I realize that those offering their assistance to me are truly doing what is Biblical.

It says in James 1:27, "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orhans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

All I can offer to the countless people who have given so freely of yourselves in my greatest hour of need is my sincere gratitude and a humble request that God richly bless your generosity. You have encouraged me with hundreds of cards, emails and Facebook messages, texts, and phone calls. You have sustained me with meals, gifts, donations and just your presence. You have given me your shoulder to sob on and have prayed for me often. You have even labored physically to help me with house chores. God has used you to make some sense out of what seems like unsurmountable circumstances, to bring light to my darkness, and to one day help me to rise from these ashes of tragedy.

I may never know all you have done for my family and I. I may never be able to return the kindness. But I know the One who knows everything you have done, and I am confident that He is well pleased.

Dearly loved widow,
Melissa

4 comments:

  1. I Love you friend! I meant what I said to you today! Your heart is beautiful and I feel Honored to see you Chasing God. For we love what we Chase and we Chase what we love. You have poured into so many of our lives and now it's our turn. Thank you for allowing us to Love and Stand with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you mel friend!!! You have been an inspiration to me through this tough time. Your faith amazes me. I am privileged to call you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WELL said my sister. Well said.
    I love you so!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Melissa,
    I have not ever spoke with you directly, but I must tell you that in this past season, where I have been quite busy- as God has so filled our lives with these children... but with that said- I do keep up with and pray for you during this time. And all I want you to know is that I am blessed to be able to read your blogs/FB posts about your amazing love from your Heavenly Father and your earthly love between you and your sweet husband. You are so connected and remind me what matters when the "hiccups" of the day start to wear me down. So, let me say "thank you" for your giving to me, indirectly as it may be, during this time of both of our lives- different as they may be.

    Your sister in Christ,
    Cristine Pina

    ReplyDelete