Friday, May 13, 2011

My message in a bottle...

Tony sent me a message in a bottle the morning of our wedding day. He was the ultimate romantic husband, fiance and boyfriend.  Seriously, I could write a book just about his romance skills!

I've had that bottle sitting on my dresser for 3 years now, but have not read the message inside since our special day.  Honestly, I forgot what it said.

Before bedtime a few weeks ago, I had a good ol' cry on my knees as I prayed to my God.  Crawling into bed, that bottle caught my attention.  I was too afraid to open the message inside.  Instead, I recalled the verses in Psalm 56:8 (NASB):

 "You have...put my tears in Your bottle; are they not in Your book?"

It was the Lord reminding me that He sees my tears; He deems each one so valuable as to hold them in His bottle.  Not one is lost.

The next night, I worked up the courage to open Tony's note.  Tears began to flow as I read the one word boldly printed in all caps at the top:

JOY

What? Joy? Really, God?  Of all the notes Tony has written me over our relationship (most that I can't even bear to read just yet), the first one I do is about Joy?

Yes, joy.  Oh, the irony of joy in a bottle that represents my tears.

I look forward to the day when I can turn this irony around as in the verses of Psalm 126:5:

"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."

Dearly loved, sowing tears,
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment