Saturday, July 3, 2010

Freedom and Fireworks...

Call me un-American, but I don't like fireworks. I say that as I hear them pop just down the street. As a child I was so terrified, I would force my mom to hold my ears every 4th of July when the fireworks started. I'm not sure what was worse, the fear that they would come down and burn me, or the obnoxiously loud noise.

Tony used to laugh at me as I cringed at the sound of them, and I would joke about making him hold my ears too. It's another holiday without him. I decided to forgoe the 4th festivities all together this year (with the exception of my mom's yummy ribs). I don't need festivities to celebrate what the day is all about - freedom.

I would make a terrible soldier. The sound of gunshots and explosives are way too much for my sensitive ears. That makes me all the more grateful for the men and women who do put themselves in harms way. They fight for our freedom and protect our country so that I don't have to.

Thank you, soldiers, thank you. Those words seem insufficient for the tremendous sacrifice you make day after day.

I stood in church this morning and thanked my God for the freedom we have to worship Him in this country, and for the freedom that we have in Christ. Galations 5:1 says, "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by the yoke of slavery." Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice for our sin by dying on the cross. Just like our soldiers, He paid the price for freedom so that we didn't have to.

Thank you, Jesus, for setting us free.

Dearly loved, and free,
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment